Back surgery isn’t always necessary to get rid of back pain. According to Adogwa et al, less than 1% of 497,822 lumbar spinal stenosis or spondylolisthesis patients required back surgery. (1) What do the other 99% need? Pain relief. Reassurance and knowledge of their condition. Gentle treatment. A sound treatment plan. Moriarty Chiropractic has such a plan for Nashua post-back-surgery, failed back surgery syndrome, continued back pain (choose your term!) patients that incorporates safe, doctor-supervised, patient-involved chiropractic care via The Cox® Technic System of Spinal Pain Management.
BACK PAIN RELIEF AFTER BACK SURGERY
Certain researchers in the medical profession want to abandon their descriptive phrase “failed back surgical syndrome” for “persistent spinal pain syndrome type 2.” For such patients with pain after back surgery with a laminectomy, discectomy, or fusion who pursued chiropractic spinal manipulation for relief, numeric pain rating scale (0-10/worst-pain scale) scores decreased from 6.6 to 0.6 and Oswestry Disability Index (0 to 100/worst-pain scale) scores dropped from 43.8 to 2.4. At 12 months’ post chiropractic care (multi-modal chiropractic care with flexion-distraction amid the treatments), 48% maintained their improvement, 42% experienced a recurrence, 10% were inaccessible for follow up. (2) A retrospective review of 32 cases of post-lumbar spine surgery pain patients noted numeric pain score changes from 6.4 to 2.3 (on a 10 point scale) for a 4.1 decrease in pain. No adverse events were reported for any of the postsurgical patients in this review with the mean number of treatments being 14. Chiropractic care consisted of the delivery of Cox® flexion distraction. (3) A prospective study of 69 post-surgical continued pain patients who still had back pain after back surgery were treated by 15 chiropractors. All followed protocols of the Cox® Technic System of Spinal Pain Management. 50% or greater relief of pain at the end of active care was reported for 81% of the patients. The mean number of days of care was 49 days;treatments was 11. At 2 years follow up, 56 patients were available. 78.6% of them had continued pain relief greater than 50%. Mean pain relief at end of care was 71.6 and 70 at 2-years follow-up. 43% had not pursued more care in 2 years. 32 patients had: 17 of them went through chiropractic manipulation, 8 had PT, exercise, injections, and medication; 5 went through further surgery. (Bottomline: Greater than 50% relief of back pain following back surgery was realized for 81% of patients in 11 visits over 49 days.) (4) Nashua back pain sufferers who have already had back surgery may appreciate these outcomes for themselves! Moriarty Chiropractic is prepared to help.
UNDERSTANDING OF BIOMECHANICAL CHANGES
To stick to a plan, all involved must be aware of what is going to happen to affect a change in pain. A study measured the short-term effect of flexion distraction spinal manipulation on various spinal aspects of sufferers with lumbar degenerative disc disease (DDD). Intervertebral disc height was increased from 6.32 to 6.93. Back pain decreased from 69.17 to 48.48. Lumbar spine mobility improved as it changed from 17.37 to 12.69 (bent over with fingers reaching for the floor). Passive straight leg raise improved from 46.94 to 56.01. (5) These are desired and documented changes with gentle, safe Nashua chiropractic care.
CONTACT Moriarty Chiropractic
Listen to this PODCAST with Dr. David Atiyeh on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson as he describes the relief with The Cox® Technic System of Spinal Pain Management for a patient who’d gone through back surgery and still had back pain.
Make your Nashua chiropractic appointment today. Back surgery is not the only option for many with back pain. And for those who have previously undergone back surgery, the non-surgical approach with chiropractic may finally produce the pain relief you desire.