“Back surgery is one of the most overused types of surgery as well as the most common ailment that sends patients to doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists,” conveys Crain’s Detroit Business magazine’s article titled Health Insurers Look for Ways to Cut Costs with Back Surgery. What a way to begin an article! It goes on:
- $90 billion on low back pain alone a year
- 1.2 million spinal surgeries a year
- $60,000 to $110,000 per lumbar fusion surgery (the fastest-growing type of surgery in the past 10 years)
The back surgery failure rate, the so-called “failed back syndrome” or the more “politically correct” term “post-surgical continued pain syndrome,” may be as high as 50%. (1) With healthcare spending in the US over $3.5 trillion - $10,739 per person – it’s no wonder that insurers seek another way to cut costs, particularly when one-third of the money goes to hospital care of chronic illnesses. (2) Moriarty Chiropractic is well-equipped and knowledgeable in offering non-hospital-based care to help Nashua back pain – chronic and acute – patients find relief of and handle their back pain – and post-surgical continued back pain - non-surgically.
LOW BACK PAIN FACTS
Low back pain is the leading cause of years lived with disability around the world. Today, guidelines for low back pain relief care discourage pain medications, steroid injections and spine surgery and encourage physical therapy and psychological therapy. Healthcare systems are apt to struggle with these novel approaches. Why? Pharmaceutical companies’ financial interests, old payment systems that favor medical care, outdated traditions, and legal, personal, political, and societal beliefs of us all. These views are presented in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, believe it or not. (3) Moriarty Chiropractic reads this with interest.
BACK SURGERY CHOICE
In light of these facts, it’s not hard to believe that some back pain sufferers will pick back surgery over non-surgical management of their back pain. “Patients go where insurance pays, even if it is surgery.” In one study, back pain sufferers made the choice to see a primary care physician (PCP) or physical therapist (PT) or chiropractor first based on their health plan type, co-payment, and deductible. Changing these factors to make them more valuable/less expensive/less restrictive as to provider type could inspire low back pain sufferers to choose non-hospital, conservative treatment rather than back surgery. (4) Moriarty Chiropractic is all for this! Less than 1% of back pain sufferers must have back surgery. (5) Moriarty Chiropractic is prepared to help the other 99% of the Nashua back pain sufferers manage their back pain and adapt their lifestyles to live with the spine they have and deal with its episodes of pain and relief.
RECURRENT BACK PAIN
Nashua back pain sufferers are not alone if their back pain returns. It happens. It is controllable. It is manageable. Some facts first: Within a year of recovery, 69% of patients experienced another episode of back pain of some sort. What risks spark a return of back pain? Awkward postures, long sitting times, and more than 2 prior back pain experiences. (6) It is ok though. Really! Moriarty Chiropractic helps Nashua back pain patients navigate these recurrences and manage them so they don’t limit anyone’s enjoyment of life. We have a treatment plan!
CONTACT Moriarty Chiropractic
Listen to Dr. Kimble Cater on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson share how he helped an expectant mother with her repeated episodes of back pain. Whether you are pregnant or not, Nashua chiropractic care at Moriarty Chiropractic can help you cope with repeated episodes of back pain, too.
Schedule a Nashua chiropractic appointment at Moriarty Chiropractic for back pain relief. Our care is not overused! The gentle, effective, evidence-based system of Cox® Technic look for 50% relief within 4-6 weeks of care and often gets 70%, 80%, 90% and more for many of our patients at less cost – in terms of finances and lifestyle – than back surgery.